Iowa Organic Association
Outreach and Communications Intern
May - August 2018
The Iowa Organic Association (IOA) is a non-profit, statewide leader in organic education, advocacy and cooperation. Our membership is comprised of farmers, handlers, processors, consumers and agriculture service providers who are committed to organic standards that ensure product integrity and label authenticity.
IOA is seeking a summer intern who is passionate about organic agriculture in Iowa and motivated to contribute to a growing non-profit organization. The candidate will gain fundamental, first-hand experience working with a non-profit organization on behalf of advancing organics in Iowa, and provide key support for education and outreach projects. Responsibilities will include:
- Collecting and organizing data for IOA’s first Iowa Organic Resource Directory. The Directory has a target distribution date of September 2018.
- Writing and contributing three Blogs for IOA’s website – providing an “interns”/student perspective about organics in Iowa, content related to your field of study or member/farmer/producer/distributor interviews.
- Conduct media outreach efforts.
- Assist with website updates and monthly newsletters.
- Support at IOA Field Days.
- Work 10 hours/week from a home office.
- Enrollment in college undergraduate/graduate program with at least sophomore status.
- Demonstrated commitment to organic agriculture and Iowa.
- Genuine interest in the inner workings of an Iowa, agriculture-related nonprofit.
- Working knowledge of the issues, leaders, and trends in organic farming in Iowa and nationwide.
- Flexible schedule, occasional weekends.
- Some travel for field days with mileage reimbursement.
- Effectively manage database and Directory data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to represent the agency in a professional manner
The United States organic agriculture industry is booming – consumers are increasingly choosing organic because of concerns regarding health, the environment, and animal welfare, and they show a willingness to pay premium prices. Organic is a $40 billion a year industry and continues to grow at a rapid pace of over 10% each year. There is much potential and need for organic exposure, education and access.
Join the IOA team this summer – help grow organic opportunities and resources in Iowa!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: This is a 12 week paid internship ($8/hr); reimbursement will be provided for expenses and travel.
START DATE: May 25, 2018
END DATE: August 17, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 4, 2018
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete applications will include: 1) Cover letter summarizing interest and qualifications 2) Resume, and 3) Three References. Email (MS Word or PDF document) application to the attention of Toby Cain, IOA Education and Outreach Coordinator, at [email protected] with the SUBJECT: APPLICATION: LAST NAME.