The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) will be delivering a Strengthening Organic Enforcement webinar on Wednesday, July 8 at 12 CST.
In anticipation of this rule publication, NOP will hold an informational webinar to provide an overview of the proposed changes and how they may impact organic farms and businesses.
ZOOM LINK FOR THE WEBINAR: click here
JOIN BY PHONE: +1 669 254 5252 or +1 646 828 7666 Webinar ID: 161 361 7245
PROPOSED RULE IMPACT
Stronger market oversight is needed to protect businesses and consumers who choose the organic option. This proposed rule significantly updates the USDA organic regulations to strengthen oversight and enforcement throughout the organic supply chain. SOE will implement provisions in the 2018 Farm Bill and address recommendations from the National Organic Standards Board and the USDA Office of Inspector General. When the proposed rule publishes in the Federal Register, it will open a 60-day comment period, and NOP will send an Organic Insider with details on how to submit comments.
WHAT DOES THE RULE DO?
- Reduce the type of businesses exempt from organic certification
- Require electronic NOP import certificates for all organic products entering the United States
- Clarify recordkeeping and fraud prevention and procedures to improve supply chain traceability
- Standardize requirements for on-site inspection of organic operations to strengthen oversight
HOW DOES THE ORGANIC INDUSTRY BENEFIT?
- Stronger tools and processes to help insure compliance
- Robust and consistent enforcement of the organic regulations
- Improved farm to market traceability
- Strong consumer and farmer trust in the organic label
- Level playing field for organic farms and businesses