Organic Field Coordinator - June 2020
Join our team! The Iowa Organic Association is seeking a confident, experienced Field Coordinator to continue building a strong education program for Iowa’s organic community.
Since 2006, IOA has been a statewide leader in advancing organic agriculture and food systems in Iowa by delivering educational programs and resources, organizing advocacy efforts and strengthening community partnerships.
As the $50B organic industry continues to boom with demand for organic products and practices, Iowa producers, landowners, businesses and consumers are increasingly looking for opportunities and leadership that supports participation in this movement. The IOA Field Coordinator will lead organic education and outreach activities that meet the needs of Iowa’s growing organic community.
The Field Coordinator’s main role is to successfully manage and execute a multi-track education program. The basic scope of work includes the following:
- Serve as point of contact for IOA education and outreach programs and activities.
- Identify key farmers, businesses, partners and stakeholders; and help cultivate an organic community.
- Lead IOA Education Committee.
- Develop and deliver educational programming that meets IOA mission and objectives.
- Define program goals, coordinate program logistics, solicit sponsors, recruit presenters and participants; deliver programs, manage evaluations, and generate reports.
- Conduct outreach at industry tradeshows, conferences, programs and events – develop appropriate outreach materials, manage logistics, and evaluate impact.
- Develop and compile educational tools and resources to support farmers in organic transition.
- Identify and lead new educational initiatives in line with organization needs and long-range plan objectives.
- Monitor and ensure budget compliance.
- Submit timely and accurate program and grant reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualified applicants will demonstrate that they are highly-professional, detail-oriented, self-starting, well organized, proficient in managing multiple components simultaneously, and works well with a range of stakeholders.
- Must be an Iowa resident.
- Associates or Undergraduate degree in Environmental Education, Agronomy, or similar field and two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A background and understanding of organic farming, agriculture and/or food systems is desired.
- Experience in event coordination and delivering educational programming.
- Experience meeting grant objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be outgoing and willing to talk to people on the phone and in person.
- Experience writing press releases, event announcements and newsletter content.
- Proficient in MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, WordPress and social media.
- Effectively manage database and basic website content.
- Able to handle stress and remain calm.
- A great team member and also motivated to work independently.
- Work from home, flexible schedule, occasional weekends.
- Frequent travel across the state of Iowa is required; must have transportation.
- Some heavy lifting (outreach materials) – less than 50#.
COMPENSATION: This is a paid position as an independent contractor at 32 hours/week. Wage is commensurate based on experience. Reimbursement will be provided for approved expenses and travel.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete applications will include: 1) Cover letter summarizing interest and qualifications that meet the needs of this position 2) Resume, and 3) Three References. Email (MS Word or PDF document) application to the attention of Rosalyn Lehman, IOA executive director, at email@example.com with “Field Coordinator” in the subject line.
LEADERSHIP WITH IOA:
If you are interested in an internship or serving on the Board of Directors, please email us with a short description of your interest.