Iowa Organic Association
Education and Outreach Coordinator
October 2018 – March 2020
The Iowa Organic Association (IOA) is seeking a passionate, experienced Education and Outreach Coordinator to continue building a strong educational program for Iowa’s organic community. The Education and Outreach Coordinator will stay current on trends in organic farming in Iowa, develop a network of stakeholders and help coordinate classroom workshops, on-farm field days, online education, and resource materials to help support and expand Iowa organic interests.
Since 2006, IOA has been a statewide leader in promoting and expanding organic agriculture and opportunities in Iowa by delivering educational programs and resources, organizing advocacy efforts and strengthening community partnerships.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator’s main role will be to successfully manage and execute a multi-track education program. The basic scope of work includes the following:
- Serve as point of contact for IOA education and outreach programs and activities.
- Identify key farmers, partners and stakeholders, and help cultivate an organic community.
- Develop and deliver educational programing that utilizes effective teaching strategies to meet the learning needs of diverse learning styles through multiple modes including signage, print media, web-based platforms, video, social media, and workshops.
Define program goals, coordinate program logistics, solicit sponsors, recruit presenters and participants; create and conduct marketing and promotion, deliver program, manage evaluations, and generate reports. Education and outreach program priorities include:
- Deliver risk management tools and resources to organic and transitioning farmers. .
- Deliver organic information and resources to agriculture service providers.
- Create and collect workshop/program evaluation forms and analyze results.
- Manage e-News, web-site and social media presence.
- Attend and/organize other IOA workshops or activities, as requested.
- Conduct outreach at industry tradeshows, conferences, programs and events – develop appropriate outreach materials, manage logistics, and evaluate impact.
- Develop and compile educational tools that help support farmers through the process of organic transition.
- Identify and lead new educational initiatives in line with organization needs and long-range plan objectives – assisting with grant writing and continued program development.
- Monitor and ensure budget compliance.
- Submit timely and accurate program and grant reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualified applicants will demonstrate that they are highly-professional, detail-oriented, self-starting, well organized, proficient in managing multiple components simultaneously, work well with a range of stakeholders, and have the capacity to achieve excellence.
- Associates or Undergraduate degree in Environmental Education, Agronomy, or similar field and two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A background and understanding of organic farming, sustainable agriculture and/or food systems is desired.
- Experience coordinating and evaluating educational programing.
- Experience with web-content design and delivery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing and willing to talk to people. Has experience writing press releases, event announcements and newsletter content.
- Proficient in MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and social media.
- Effectively manage database and basic website content.
- Able to handle stress and remain calm.
- A great team member and also motivated to work independently.
- Work from home, flexible schedule, occasional weekends.
- Must have transportation, as travel across the state of Iowa is required.
COMPENSATION: This is a paid position as an independent contractor for 18 months, 30 hours/week. IOA hopes to generate funding to continue to grow our educational programming into the future, and if successful, the position could extend beyond the 18 month contract. Wage is $15-20/hr and based on experience. Reimbursement will be provided for approved expenses and travel.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 19, 2018
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete applications will include: 1) Cover letter summarizing interest and qualifications 2) Resume, and 3) Three References. Email (MS Word or PDF document) application to the attention of Rosalyn Lehman, IOA executive director, at email@example.com with “Education and Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
LEADERSHIP WITH IOA:
If you are interested in an internship or serving on the Board of Directors, please email us with a short description of your interest.
Jobs at other sustainable agriculture organizations
For sustainable farming internships and apprenticeships, check out the National Sustainable Agriculture Service’s interactive directory.