Organic Conference Coordinator
August 2018 - June 2019
The Iowa Organic Association (IOA) is seeking an experienced Conference Coordinator to manage and carry out all aspects of organizing and delivering an organic hog conference in northeast Iowa. The Conference will be held in March 2019.
Since 2006, the Iowa Organic Association (IOA) has been a statewide leader in promoting and expanding organic agriculture and opportunities in Iowa by delivering educational programs and resources, organizing advocacy efforts and strengthening community partnerships.
The Conference Coordinator’s main role will be to ensure an outstanding conference. The basic scope of work includes the following:
- Serve as point of contact for conference planning and correspondence
- Develop a plan
- Oversee and coordinate conference Advisory Committee
- Determine logistics
- Develop program; secure keynote and presenters
- Manage outreach, promotion and invitations
- Solicit sponsors and exhibits
- Create program and materials
- Ensure all venue, meal and equipment needs are in place
- Monitor and assure compliance with conference budget
- Manage day-of conference activities (materials, exhibitors, presenters, participants, meals)
- Create and distribute conference evaluation form and analyze results
- Ensure post conference follow-up activities and reporting are carried out
Qualified applicants will demonstrate that they are highly-professional, detail-oriented, self-starting, well organized, proficient in managing people, proficient in managing multiple components simultaneously, work well with a diversity of people, and have the capacity to achieve excellence.
- Degree in hospitality management, public relations or relevant field is preferred.
- At least 3 years’ experience organizing, developing and handling large and complex event logistics.
- A background and understanding of organic swine production, organic/sustainable agriculture and/or food systems is desired, but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing, and able to represent IOA in a professional manner.
- Effectively manage database and basic website content related to the conference.
- Able to handle stress and remain calm.
- Flexible schedule, occasional weekends.
- Some travel for Advisory Committee meeting(s) and conference planning.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: This is a part-time contract (20hrs/wk through March; remaining 70 hours for post-conference follow-up, to be completed by June 30, 2019). Wage is $20/hour. Reimbursement will be provided for project expenses and travel.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 30, 2018
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete applications will include: 1) Cover letter summarizing interest and qualifications
2) Resume, and 3) Three References. Email (MS Word or PDF document) application to the attention of Rosalyn Lehman, IOA executive director, at email@example.com with “Conference Coordinator” in the subject line.
LEADERSHIP WITH IOA:
If you are interested in an internship or serving on the Board of Directors, please email us with a short description of your interest.
Jobs at other sustainable agriculture organizations
For sustainable farming internships and apprenticeships, check out the National Sustainable Agriculture Service’s interactive directory.