Join us Friday, September 15th at noon as we partner with Practical Farmers of Iowa (PFI) to host a shared learning call entitled "Technical Tips and Assistance Programs for Organic Small Grains Farmers", featuring speakers Daniel Sheetz, and Rosalyn Lehman of the Iowa Organic Association.
In the first portion of the call, we'll hear from Iowa farmer Daniel Sheetz about his decision to add winter wheat to his rotation and tips he’s learned for growing winter wheat in an organic context. Daniel and his family live and work on their organic farm north of Toledo, Iowa, where he farms a rotation of organic corn, soybeans, oats, wheat and alfalfa on approximately 600 acres.
The second portion of the call will feature our esteemed colleague Rosalyn Lehman, IOA's Executive Director, who will provide an overview of the various organic assistance programs currently available to Iowa farmers, including the Organic Certification Cost-Share Program (OCCSP), and the interim program introduced by the NRCS earlier this year, the new Organic Management Standard (OMS) 823.
IOA is proud to be a part of PFI's monthly virtual series on small grains, where attendees will learn from various speakers, farmers, and small grains enthusiasts, as they share their experiences and production practices, with time for questions and discussion.
To participate in the Zoom shared learning calls, please register in advance. Participants will have the option of joining the virtual event by either phone or computer.
Further Information on Small Grains:
Check out the latest small grains resources HERE.
Join future shared learning calls and get resources on small grain production by signing up for PFI's monthly Small Grains Newsletter HERE.
Shared Learning Call Blog Recaps:
Most shared learning calls are followed up with a blog recap. Read through recent shared learning call recap blogs to see what you missed:
- Getting Started with Kernza: Top Tips for Planting, Harvesting and Marketing
- Research Connects Soil Health Principles, Ecosystem Services and Climate Resiliency to Extended Rotations
- Incorporating Oats in Extended Rotations
- Feeding, Grazing and Growing Nitrogen With Red Clover
- Incorporating Small Grains in Livestock Rations to Achieve Regenerative Agriculture Goals
- The “Why” of Winter Barley, Plus 4 Tips on Winter Barley Double Cropping
- Making the Most of Winter Grains in an Extended Rotation
- Observations on Summer Crops, Small Grains and Grazing Covers